Saturday 22 June 2013

New Choons: Arctic Monkeys - 'Do I Wanna Know?'

Don't you hate it when a really big band says something like "Keep your eyes peeled tonight, we've got something for you". Even worse when its like 11pm and you stay up waiting a silent forever for the new song only to find yourself falling asleep by the time its hit. Arctic Monkeys don't do that, the considerate bastards, they let you get a nice bit of sleep and have you wake up to a new song. Not only that, but a video and availability to buy this new single straight off the bat. Sure they happen to be the biggest band in Britain, they have a fanbase of millions that snap at every opportunity to buy into the group and they can afford to be risky with their promotion methods but that doesn't make "Do I Wanna Know" any less exciting. Its a sign of what to expect with the band's forthcoming fifth album and with last years' "R U Mine?" fast becoming one of the band's most popular songs, our tongues wag only harder.

The first thing I thought when the opening seconds of "Do I Wanna Know?" hit me was, "this sounds a little familiar". Indeed, the song's intro plays a bit like a slower version of the aforementioned "R U Mine?" with some fans describing it as the popular singles sister song. The ominously bluesy scale the guitars play is remarkably similar, however teamed with the punchy bass and almost r'n'b drum beat, the song is elevated into something altogether quite different. A musically aggressive tune when it really kicks in, it seems the Sheffield quartet have spent their new residency in LA wisely, most likely hanging out with close friend Josh Homme and his gang. Its in the lyrics that "Do I Wanna Know?" shines still, with Alex Turner crooning the words "There's this tune I found that makes me think of you somehow and I play it on repeat until I fall asleep, spilling drinks on my settee" detailing the unbearable feeling of wanting someone but not knowing whether to act on the feeling. "Do I wanna know if this feeling falls both ways?" and "Been wondering if your hearts still open and if so I wanna know what time it shuts" are lines that drip with the passionate wordplay that made Mr Turner famous. Despite everything that has changed with the Arctic Monkeys over the years, Turner's lyrical genius remains unmatched and its that which pushes a song that already rocks your ears into one that rocks your mind. If its anything to go by, the new album shall not disappoint the fans of the band's last albums Humbug and Suck It And See. Do you wanna know? Do I even have to ask?


"Do I Wanna Know?" is out now on Domino Records and is available to download on iTunes here: http://po.st/DoIWannaKnowSingle

Or watch the Pink Floyd style promo video below.




No comments:

Post a Comment