Saturday 22 June 2013

New Choons: Sisters - 'Clearhead'

If there's something a blogger with a 'contact me' page should do, its probably work out how to read the emails in your inbox... don't judge! Anyway apologies to anybody who has sent me things to listen to over the past few weeks, I've literally only just read them due to a misunderstanding (gmail is new to me), so I will listen to as much as I can and hopefully get back to some of you/write some words. Anyway, one email that cropped up came from the upcoming indie label/PR company Gravy Records (artists include Wolverhampton's own God Damn) informing me of the new single from Ireland born but London based noise pop trio Sisters. I'd already familiarised myself with the band, the band's name was actually one I had in mind for my own band but alas, in discovering it was taken, google led me to Sisters and their charming debut single "Clearhead".

With guitars drenched in reverb, slightly fuzzy bass and thrashy drums, some would argue its a familiar formula of many bands emerging in the UK at the moment. In fact its safe to say "Clearhead" definitely wouldn't sound out of place with the jingle jangle musings of Palma Violets or Splashh, but by no means is this a bad thing. The song has an almost folkish feel to it despite the otherwise brash and fuzzy sounds, helped by singer/bassist Aoife's soft voice that opens with the relatable line "I'm a fighter not a lover, but I feel all soft inside". The song as a whole is actually quite a delightfully catchy tune that will have you humming along in no time. In fact, if Sisters remind me of anyone its of UK indie pop legends Comet Gain or perhaps Veronica Falls if they dug out a fuzz pedal or two, not necessarily for the female vocals but the great pop songwriting and the familiarity that comes from the oh-so-human lyrics. If "Clearhead" is a sign of things to come, I'm happy to amble down Sisters' road.

"Clearhead" is out now on Gravy Records and can be bought at www.gravyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/clearhead though you can listen to/watch the promo video below. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment