Thursday 18 July 2013

New Choons: Yuck - 'Rebirth'

I know its been a month since my last post, something that I'm going to apologise for in greater depth in another post I'm working on later. Nothing to worry about, content is on its way, I just feel like this blog needs a bit of a rebirth. Speaking of rebirth, Yuck have just released the first single from their upcoming second album fittingly titled er... "Rebirth". Its a particularly poignant title for a band who have in the past year had their lead singer quit the group. Indeed Daniel Blumberg decided to focus on solo project Hebronix, a more self indulgent affair than any previous Yuck material. Listening to the album today I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't too pretentious to enjoy. Still, I was eagerly awaiting what guitarist/new singer Max Bloom had to offer as it was his songwriting on Yuck's 2011 self titled debut, showcased on Bloom's only vocal track "Operation" as well as the captivating instrumental "Rose Gives A Lilly" and 7 minute album closer "Rubber", that had truly won me over. So today, after weeks of recording and mixing in New York, the band release "Rebirth", and as the saying goes, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

If Yuck's debut record could be (lovingly) accused of being an imitation of US Indie Rock bands such as Pavement, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr, "Rebirth" would appear to display that Yuck have decided to cross back over the pond. Alas, the first thoughts of the new single I had were how it reminded me of a lot of UK shoegaze of the early 90s bringing to mind bands like My Bloody Valentine (Particularly the track "Blown A Wish"), Slowdive and The Verve's very early material. Ironic that the first record was made in the UK and the band travelled to New York to make this one! Anyway, comparisons aside "Rebirth" is an instantly enjoyable song for fans of 90s alt rock and shoegaze and is refreshingly different enough from the first album to escape any accusations of Max not moving on. "I don't want your love, I want you" Bloom sings with a dreamy voice that puts any doubts of his vocal abilities to bed. The last track Yuck revealed (though never released), "Chew" is actually a good indication that the band are choosing to go down a more psychedelic/atmospheric route. The lo fi production that characterised Yuck's earlier material is actually not too sorely missed on "Rebirth" with spiralling guitars and swirling synths elevating the song to epic new heights for the band. Hopefully the fans take to what is a well formed and enjoyably groovy song that bodes well for the upcoming album. Yuck reborn, "Rebirth" has me wanting more.

Available now, you can download "Rebirth" for free at www.yuckband.com



No comments:

Post a Comment