Saturday 16 March 2013

Preview: Reading + Leeds Festivals 2013

The Line-up
I thought I'd write a feature on the recent extended line up announcements of Reading + Leeds Festivals that were revealed on Monday as this year *drumroll* I"M ACTUALLY GOING!!! Yes, good news, as part of my 21st birthday present my parents loaned me the money for 2 tickets to Reading Festival this year. I've always wanted to go to a festival same as any other music lover but Reading or Leeds held a sort of special place in my heart. Mainly due to past headliners like Radiohead, The Cure, Arctic Monkeys, Smashing Pumpkins, Rage Against The Machine and Arcade Fire all wetting my imagination and desire to join the 30,000 strong main stage crowd.

So first order of business, headliners. When Eminem was announced first in November last year I was somewhat disillusioned. I can imagine the majority of Reading and Leeds regulars might also feel that way as it seems a bit of a scheme to attract a more obvious mainstream selection of artists along with recent additions Azealia Banks and Skrillex. While its definitely not a bad thing to supply a diverse range of artists at festivals, it does slightly betray the festival's reputation as the 'Alternative' festival. Still as a fan in my teens I'm sure dancing around drunk in a field to "Without Me" could be a great laugh, that is as long as he sticks away from more recent depressathon tunes of recent years. Biffy Clyro and Green Day will please a more rock-friendly audience but even still, its another two VERY popular rock bands. No doubt similarly with Eminem, these guys after a few drinks with their chart topping pop rock will be good fun. However, within the headliners, theres no relevant modern recent success in the headliners, nor a really critically acclaimed under-appreciated legend.

Not that the alternative side hasn't been covered elsewhere. The news of Perth's psych rockers Tame Impala playing the tent was greeted with gallons of metaphorical wee in my pants. 2012's Lonerism was an outstanding album and the band's reputation for amazing festival appearances only adds to the anticipation of a potentially special moment. Similarly news of B-Town favourites Peace promises for a spectacular showing, something I'm especially thankful for having always missed the chances to attend their sold-out local shows. Main stage performances from Nine Inch Nails, Deftones and System Of A Down are the three I personally look forward to most and I imagine I'm not alone within the slightly older (God... I'm only 21!) attendees. Foals also promise for a great performance after their critically acclaimed third album "Holy Fire", however if they are on at the same time as Tame Impala I'm afraid the Oxford drop-outs are getting missed! Swim Deep, Haim, Deap  Vally, Phoenix, Temples, Johnny Marr and Palma Violets (minus annoying on-stage shenanigans from the latter) are also acts I'd like to catch if possible though there will no doubt be some give and take.

It is clear to see with the festivals recent crowd expansion from 70,000 to 80,000 with further plans to reach a 6 figure crowd in years to come has meant the festival may have felt the need to cater for a wider range of music fans. This is understandable and of course a great thing for any festival, the more genres supplied on multiple stages the better. However I feel this is a year where the less mainstream bands are being slightly misrepresented. Fall Out Boy and New Found Glory along with Green Day and Biffy Clyro are pretty much all Kerrang legends aimed predominately at teens while Alt J, Bastille and Jake Bugg have been enjoying a lot of UK chart attention leaving only really a handful of real hard-working upcoming artists on the bill. Despite this I'm still shitting myself at the following things: When NIN play (or better play!) "March Of The Pigs", Peace and Swim Deep repping the West Midlands with some propper summer choons and of course TAAAMMMEEE IMPAALLAAAAA!!! Somebody slap me.

No comments:

Post a Comment