Thursday 11 April 2013

New Choons: Queens Of The Stone Age - 'My God Is The Sun'

There used to be a time when for a band to wait more than 2 years between any of their first 8 or so albums was virtually unheard of. Sadly these days it feels like a forever that we wait for well established groups to record and release their albums and often the years of expectation bring massive disappointment. For Queens Of The Stone Age fans, the wait has been 6 whole years since the band's fifth outing, 2007's "Era Vulgaris" which seemed to divide critics whom either loved or loathed it. Myself being part of the former, found it to be an excitingly refreshing album that really challenged perceptions of the band. Tracks like "Turning Of The Screw", "Misfit Love", bonus title track "Era Vulgaris" as well as particular singles "Sick, Sick, Sick" and "3's and 7's" felt like such a great leap forward to me with groovy drums from Joey Castillo and some of Troy Van Leeuwen and frontman Josh Homme's riffs were incredibly inspired. However many longed for the band at their most popular "Songs For The Deaf" era which while of course was a fantastic album, unfairly over-shadows the compelling former two albums and the excitingly evolving direction of the previous two outings. "My God Is The Sun" would suggest the band aren't completely unaffected by the majority's preference.

Coming with the announcement of their 6th album "...Like Clockwork" (details below), Josh Homme appeared on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show to debut the song before sharing it on the band's youtube page. With it also came the revelation that "My God Is The Sun" at least features Nirvana drummer/Foo Fighter Dave Grohl behind the drum seat (returning there, after drumming on "Songs For The Deaf" after the confirmation of Joey Castillo's departure, sad news in my opinion). The track begins with rattling percussion and a winding guitar riff before we are thrown into a waltz stoner rock jam that brings to mind SFTD tracks "The Sky Is Falling" and "A Song For The Deaf". Grohl's presence is made known with his signature shuffles thrown in at the climactic end. Homme remains a domineering presence with his smooth yet powerful vocals as charming as always proclaiming "Heal them, like fire from a gun, kneeling, my god is the sun". Whilst stylistically more similar to older albums it does retain a bit of the robotic charm of "Era Vulagris" and even brings back the darker melodies of "Lullabies To Paralyze". To be honest, I personally can see a lot of similarities with Homme and Grohl's side project Them Crooked Vultures, whose self titled album felt, at least to me, slightly lacklustre.  I think I am probably slightly bitter to see the exit of Joey Castillo whose drumming on the previous two albums I had really enjoyed, though apparently he will appear on the album at points. "My God Is The Sun" is however an exciting song, and doesn't make me any less excited for the album. 

"...Like Clockwork" will be released the 3rd of June this year on Matador Records (with some mysterious deluxe editions on offer).


"...Like Clockwork" tracklist
1. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
2. I Sat By The Ocean
3. The Vampyre of Time and Memory
4. If I Had A Tail
5. My God Is The Sun
6. Kalopsia
7. Fairweather Friends
8. Smooth Sailing
9. I Appear Missing
10. ...Like Clockwork

No comments:

Post a Comment