Tuesday 23 April 2013

Feature: Thank You For The Music...


FOREWORD: A slightly personal post, sorry if it drags/is badly written, just got thinking about this and thought it could be good fun to write about. Hope you enjoy, might do this kind of thing more in the future.

Like every dedicated music fan, I take a great deal of pride in my musical taste. Back in those MySpace days (2006-2008... y'know, the proper MySpace), when you had the little box on your profile you could fill with favourite bands and artists, I would literally compile an extensive (& alphabetical!) list of dozens, possibly hundreds, of my favourite's. It didn't matter that nobody would read the whole thing, at the time it felt as vital a part of my identity as my name. Not to mention the tireless hours I know we all spent searching for the right song to have playing on your profile. 

The same goes for real life. Over the years I've used band t-shirts, posters, even lyrics scrawled onto my bag to express my taste to others as well as lengthy chats with all my friends (well... the ones that listen) about a new band or song I'm digging/old bands I'm going back to or just discovering. When it comes to this, something funny happens. We all do it too. I adopt bands as my own possessions, often talking as if I am the sole and greatest fan when the truth is, I'm so obviously not. While I pride myself on keeping up to date with new music and studying the history of genre's I enjoy, the foundations of my musical taste don't really originate from me, but from the people in my life. I owe a great deal of my taste to so many people who have come and gone in my life, and I would hazard a guess that so do you! We often forget the fact that favourite band of ours didn't come though music blogs/magazines/tv/gigs, but from our family, friends and loved ones.

Imagine a cubby cheeked four year old boy with a colourful chunky sweater and hilarious blonde bowl cut, y'know the kind you can see those hip n fresh Dalston twenty-somethings wearing today (shudder). Cross legged on the brown carpet of his front room, the boy waits obediently still as his mother puts a strange black circular disc out of a blue sleeve. She places the disc on a flat service and a needle on a stick on top. "These are the songs I sing for you and your sister" she says whilst the boy fidgets impatiently from the toddler's greatest foe, boredom. "Mom, I wanna go in the gard.." the boy begins before being interrupted by the unfamiliarly hypnotic sound of an organ erupting from the speakers of his parents' hi-fi. "Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields" an unknown voice chimes in before a group of instruments kick in and a little boy's life is changed forever.

OK, that story is partly (largely) fabricated, but is no doubt fairly accurate in my induction to the world of music. The Blue Album, a Beatles compilation of their later and last releases (1967-1970), was a staple in my life. It was my first real association with any kind of music and would have me begging my parents to play it on those once never-ending weekends. Before then I had assumed those songs came from the supposedly musical genius mind of my mom rather than John Lennon or Paul McCartney. Learning otherwise certainly changed that opinion, but nowadays I find myself looking back with pangs of gratefulness to my mom for letting me into this world and realising that it was the first in a series of moments where I was presented with the gift of great music from another person.

This came again from my mom and from many others. Many thanks to my Dad, a great compiler of greatest hits compilations (don't judge him, he's almost 60) and during my teenage years would have all sorts of music on in the car. "Have a listen to this Huw" he'd always say before educating me with fantastic collections of songs from bands that to this day I still love. The Cure, Daft Punk, REM, Weezer, Led Zeppelin, Blur, and the one that really changed my life, The Smiths were all introduced to me at the hands of my Dad who'd usually end a CD by grinning and saying "See? Not such a square dad after all am I?" before arguing with a McDonalds server over the price of sauce.

Cheers to my sister Beth who also provided a massive influence on my listening habits, particularly in my teens. Being the older sibling she knew more about what was cool within the more indie scene and had all the must have noughties band's records like The Strokes, Kings Of Leon (the first 3 albums were amazing and you know it) and Arctic Monkeys as well as much more obscure and challenging music that she had found from her own musical search such as Elliott Smith, Sufjan Stevens and more recently Jens Lekman. She often reminds me of this when I listen to any of these artists to which I always reply "I am thankful, gawd!"

Ta to friend's that bought interesting bands to the table with the obligatory metal, emo, hip-hop, scene and rave phases of teendom. I'm glad I went through phases of listening to bands like Tool, Metallica, My Chemical Romance, Jay Z, Klaxons, Enter Shikari, etc because I feel like it created a much broader realm of taste to my musical pallet without which I would probably dismiss too many good bands. Credit to my former Drum teacher Daryl (who sadly I haven't spoken to in 3 years) as he introduced me to some great music as he taught me to be a part of it. Rock giants like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, QOTSA and Red Hot Chili Peppers were introduced to me as bands he thought I might enjoy.

Even today I owe so much. Without my friend Liam pestering me to listen to a certain Australian psychedelic band (Tame Impala), my 2012 may have been a totally different experience as one of the most important albums to me that I feel will stick with me for a lifetime thanks to him. Further recognition goes to my friend Lee who got me listening to Tom Petty, a legend I had somehow missed for 20 years of my life and a maker of truly fantastic records. Last but certainly not least, huge appreciation to my girlfriend Kayleigh for sharing fantastic bands/artists like Charli XCX, Sneaker Pimps and Jamie Woon but more so for music we've discovered together. Peace, Swim Deep, Haim are all bands we've enjoyed together and have been made better because of it. Whatever happens in the future I know I'll listen back to these records fondly as I'm no doubt reminded of fun times and awesome passionate conversations we've shared as music lovers.

The same goes for everyone on this list, its just a massive thank you really, there are so many good feelings that come with certain songs and albums because of close ones. Though I now find most new music through other resources, without the bands you introduced me to and more importantly the bond we've shared over any music, I truly would not be the person I am today and I am grateful. I shall continue to try and do the same for you ;)

Now though you must suffer...

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA

No comments:

Post a Comment