Friday 3 May 2013

Video: Tame Impala - 'Prototype' (Outkast)

This September will be the 10th anniversary of one of the most prolific and brilliant pop albums my generation had the pleasure of growing up with. "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" saw Atlanta Georgia hip-hop duo Outkast appeal to a much wider audience. Their fifth LP, after the amazing third and fourth outings "Aquemini" and "Stankonia" the duo decided it would be a nifty idea to record a double album that served as solo albums for both members Big Boi who created "Speakerboxxx", an album rooted firmly in Southern Hip Hop and Andre 3000 who created "The Love Below" an album that saw Andre branch out from his usual hip-hop style and bask in a more free form record dabbling in Soul, Funk and Jazz orientated pop. While both LPs are incredible (and best listened to as a whole rather than two separate albums), it was "The Love Below" with killer hits "Hey Ya" and "Roses" cementing long standing places on international charts and generally had most people somewhat unfairly overlooking Big Boi.

However, as much as I'd love to, I'm not here to post a detailed analysis of the album. I'm here to post a video my girlfriend (who writes a much better blog at electragrrl.blogspot.co.uk) sent me today. Literally seeing the title bought me out of the awful headache I'd been having to search for my headphones and good grief I was not disappointed. Tame Impala, as anyone who knows me can tell you, are a band I became incredibly obsessed with last year with the release of their second album "Lonerism". The psyche rock band hailing from Perth Australia at a recent radio session decided to woo me further (a feat I thought to be impossible) by covering, you guessed it, Outkast. They opted for the last single from "The Love Below", "Prototype" an epic psychedelic soul jam that saw Andre 3000 singing about falling in love with a woman who if not 'the one' must be 'the prototype'. Its an incredibly addictive slow funk song already and Tame Impala do it great justice, with singer Kevin Parker singing a smooth falsetto as bassist/synth/Pond singer Nick Allbrook provides some hilariously accurate backing vocals. Fans of either band rejoice in what can only be described as an unexpectedly fantastic cover. To Andre 3000 and Tame Impala I stank thee smelly much.



Outkast/Andre 3000 in the awesome Prince-esque sic-fi promo video of original version

No comments:

Post a Comment